Tuesday, 21 July 2009

First proper update

Florida is fantastic! It's been a great few days so far since I arrived very late Friday night / Saturday morning.
It hasn't been too difficult to get used to the weather so far, but it hasn't reached it's hottest yet, and I suppose we haven't spent that much time outside either. The air conditioning everywhere is great :) It's always kind of humid, but some days have been really humid and today was less. We've had a lot of cloud so the sun hasn't always been at its hottest either, but still way more than back home. It's just really tropical here.
The beach is "awesome". It's really long, stretching for miles down the coastline (we haven't yet seen either end...). We spent some time on Jacksonville Beach (Jax Beach) at the weekend, but we're going to be living a little bit further up in Neptune Beach but as they all roll into one there isn't much of a difference.
We've been staying in some nice big apartments - I managed to get the master bedroom with ensuite bathroom and walk-in wardrobe as I spent the first night on my own before the other two guys arrived Sunday morning. We had our first meal together tonight - spaghetti bolognese. There's a pool in the apartment complex (more of an olympic village kind of idea) and we all got in there tonight - Hege has decided to teach me to swim (I thought it was about time) but it might be a bit of work...
Things are getting sorted too - bank account, mobile phone, admin at Mayo etc. We have decided to take the two houses from last year's students, and also likely their people carrier too. Hopefully that should all be finalised this week.
Church was excellent on Sunday. I also met some more people that I knew from my mission in Montreal that I didn't know had moved here - they are in my ward, how crazy's that?
So things have been really great so far. Mayo is a fantastic place and I think I'll have an amazing time there. The other five students are a lot of fun and we all get on really well so this will be a great adventure.

1 comment: